Visiting & Special Credit Students


Effective September 11, 2017, students applying for admission, transfer, or readmission to any N. C. community college or university must establish residency using a Residency Determination Service (RDS) application. This service will allow a student to use one residency determination (in-state or out-of-state) for admissions applications to multiple NC public colleges and universities and to demonstrate residency for financial aid consideration. Learn More

Students enrolled at another college or university who wish to take one or more courses at SCC are considered Special Credit Students. Additionally, if you do not plan on earning a degree, diploma, or certificate, and plan to take for-credit courses for personal or professional enrichment, you are a special credit student. Special credit students may earn up to 15 credit hours prior to acceptance into a curriculum program. Visiting and Special Credit students DO NOT qualify for financial aid.

1. Complete Admissions Application

Visiting and Special Credit students must complete an application for admission, including a residency determination request. All applicants must complete Residency Determination to determine tuition status (in-state or out-of-state) prior to completing and submitting an admissions application. Documentation may be required during this process. Once you have completed your Residency Determination, you will be provided a Residency Certification Number (RCN) that can be used to complete your Admissions Application. Be sure to select the Visiting & Special Credit option under the Programs of Study.

2. Register for Classes

Once approved, the Registrar will register you for courses.1 Sampson Community College uses an online system called Self Service that can be view course descriptions, check what sections of a particular course are available at what times each semester, register for classes, pay for classes, and reference who your academic advisor is.2

1. Placement testing for Visiting & Special Credit students is only required if the student wishes to take a course with a prerequisite and that prerequisite has not been met by the test waiver criteria.

2. Official transcripts are not required. However, high school and/or college transcripts will need to be provided if a student wishes to take a course with a prerequisite. Applicants should request for complete transcripts be sent to or mailed to Sampson Community  College, Attn: Office of Admissions, PO Box 318, Clinton, NC 28329.