Sampson Community College offers an excellent Truck Driver Training Program that will afford students the opportunity to earn their Class A CDL.
Changing careers? New in the workforce? This is a great opportunity to launch a new career and learn to drive and maneuver a tractor-trailer safely with the knowledge and experience of our trained instructors.
We are FMCSA Entry Level Driver Training compliant and are listed on the FMCSA Trainer Provider Registry. Our day class runs for 12 weeks and meets Monday through Friday from 8:00-6:00. Our weekend class runs for 16 weeks and meets Monday and Tuesday nights from 6:00-10:00 except for week one, which is Monday through Thursday from 6:00-10:00 for classroom theory. Weekend class meets Saturday and Sunday from 8:00-6:00 for range and road training. Both classes provide intensive classroom and vehicle training with safety being the central focus.
To register for Truck Driver Training courses online!
To register in person, please contact our Workforce Development & Continuing Education division by phone at (910) 592-7176 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-Enrollment Eligibility Requirements & Fees
|Tuition (to include additional fees)||$555.60|
|Books (to include tax; purchased second day of class)||$67.87|
|Class A CDL Permit Prep Class *||$70.00|
|DOT Physical **||$59.00|
|DOT Drug Screen **||$49.00|
|DMV Test Fee||$45.00|
|DMV Permit Fee||$23.00|
|Approximate Total Cost||$870.45|
* The Class A CDL Permit Prep Course is required unless you have your Class A CDL Permit by the day of registration. The DMV test will be required after you have finished the Class A CDL prep course. You must pay for the application to take the test and permit card.
** DOT Drug Test and Physical have discounted costs through our provider, Simple Clinic of Clinton. Other providers cost will vary. To obtain the discount, you will need to obtain a discount form on the day of registration or at the Continuing Education Office.
Areas of Training
- Vehicle Inspections
- General Operation & Maintenance
- On the Road Driving
- Backing and Maneuvering
- Defensive Driving
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Trip Planning
- Cargo Handling
- Size & Weight Regulations
- Hours of Service Rules
- Accident Prevention
Pre-Enrollment Eligibility Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must pass a DOT physical
- Must obtain a CDL Class “A” Learner’s Permit prior to class start from the state you are licensed in
CDL Class “A” Learner’s Permit Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English. CDL tests are administered in English.
- CFR 49 Section 391.1.1 states “(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs, and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.”
- Pass and obtain a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination within six months prior to start of class. A previously acquired Medical Examiners Certificate with a valid expiration date is accepted. A DOT physical can be accomplished at any authorized DOT exam facility.
- Pass a DOT drug screen within one month prior to the start of class. As a service to our students, Simple Clinic has agreed to offer our students a substantial discount for both of these services. A form is required to obtain this discount and is available at registration or in person at the East Building on campus. Outpatient Facilities, Urgent Care, and many private physicians perform these services as long as the facility is an authorized DOT testing site.
- Obtain a CDL Class A Learner’s Permit before the start of class. Proof will be required. SCC offers a CDL Prep Class (in-person and online) to prepare students for their written test. The cost for this class is $70. To register for the seated or online Prep Class call (910) 592-7176.
- Simple Clinic – Clinton: (910) 491-4530
- Simple Clinic – Fayetteville: (910) 491-9418
- Simple Clinic – Eastover: (910) 483-6277
Financial assistance is available for this course. Applications for various financial assistance should be started one month prior to start of class. This process takes time, so please submit requests as soon as possible.
- SCC Financial Assistance – Alonza Royal @ (910) 592-7176 ext. 4001 or Katelyn O’Neal (910) 592-7176 ext. 4009
- NC Works – Mary Harper @ (910) 592-5756
- NC Works – Mary Warren @ (910) 592-5756 Sampson Co. or (910) 893-2191 Harnett Co.
- Action Pathways @ (910) 485-613
SCC is certified by the NC DMV to administer testing as approved by the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration. In this capacity, the College is authorized to CDL test students who successfully complete the program. After successful completion of CDL testing students are then able to go directly to DMV, pay the appropriate fees, and update their permit to a full CDL A. Therefore, no private equipment is required.
What Employers Are Looking for in a Driver
- No “careless or reckless” violations in the last 2 years
- No ‘hit and run” violations in the last 2 years
- No “license suspensions” in the last 1 year
- No “drug possession” charges in the last 2 years
- No “DUI or DWI” in the last 5 years
- No “felony convictions” in the last 5 years